Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An Update

Hey Everyone,

Finally got internet at my "flat", so I'll be online a bit more. To update my last post, that company offered my a full time job, then said they don't have any classes. So I'm working part time now and I'm interviewing to try to fill up my schedule. Its normal for English teachers to work two or three part time jobs instead of a full time job at one place (although it is easier when that happens). Otherwise, things are going well. A few friends are leaving Prague, but most are staying. Some of my friends and I went to the World Baseball Cup last weekend. We watched the "Czech Eagles" play Taiwan. Taiwan beat them 10-1; it wasn't even fun to watch, but it was good to see some baseball. In one sense it was very American. There was hotdogs and sunflower seeds, and they played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". But then they also had a stand that sold wine and cheese, so its not exactly the same. Still, a fun afternoon. Thanks to everyone who has left messages/IM/e-mail/skyped me. I really love hearing from everyone back home.

Tim


The Czech Eagles ready to bat.



Some friends at a restaurant.



A 9-11 (or 11-9, as its known over here) folk music concert...in Czech. The singing was terrible, but the music was quite good. The steel guitar player was pretty fun to watch.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Tim,
    It looks like Czech life is good for you!
    The picture down thread of ya'll walking looked very much like Kharkiv.
    Glad you are working.
    And you are right, of the English teacher's we know, many have several jobs. :)
    How is your Czech language coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. I hope to see Kharkiv at some point. My goal is to take a lot of weekend trips to see all of these European cities. My Czech...well, I've learned very little. Dobre Den means Good Day/Hello (formal). Dobre Vecher, the same thing but in the evening. Prosim is your welcom and excuse me (in a polite "get out of my way" sense), while Pardon means excuse me, in the sense that I bumped into you and its my fault. Dequee means thank you. Ano and, confusingly, no means yes, while neh means no. That's about it, once I start working more and actually get paid, I plan to take Czech classes, but not till money is flowing in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete